Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Working It Out.....

 Hi Everyone!

I don't know about you but this past week was somewhat trying for me.  No matter what I started, my craft projects just didn't want to come together.  Ever have those type of days?  Well, I was having one of those weeks!  The result was a great learning experience.

Because I've been working in my homemade art journals, I've not had a chance to work in my Dylusions Art Journal.  With no clear idea of theme or even color palette, I grabbed my Dylusions Ink Sprays and Inksessential Mini Mister and just started.  And didn't like it.  I could have gesso'd over the pages but instead I decided to just use this art journal spread as a means to play with the new goodies from eP.
I added random spots of paint using Prima's Donna Downey 12x12 Chevron Grunge Art Stencil. .  Next I added the Bert and Flossie silhouette stencils using Claudine Hellmuth paints.  I mixed some Blank Canvas paint with Gesso to get a gray color I liked for Bert.
Then I got an idea.  What if I used  Pan Pastels with stencils instead of ink sprays!  Why not, this spread was after all a 'learning experiement'.
 I layered the Bert stencil with the Flossie stencil then added TCW Mini Cursive Alpha stencil on top of all of that:


(I add blue painters tape along the edges of some of my stencils - helps my little fat fingers :-) hang on better)
I also used Pan Pastels along the edges with Dylusions Number Stencil.

I LOVE - LOVE - LOVE how the  Pan Pastels work with stencils.  The only thing to remember, is to apply fixative (I used hair spray) or the chalk will rub off as you can see in the picture above.  I outlined Flossie with the white Faber-Castell Gelato and was rubbing some of the chalk off before I realized it.
If you are wondering why the funky handwriting, it's actually my personal journaling.  I kept writing in the same area - over previous writing.  I wanted to keep the journaling personal and this way I know what I wrote but anyone looking at it would have a hard time deciphering it (I hope anyway :-) ).


All in all, I learned something even if the overall spread isn't all that pretty.  Honestly, I threw everything but the kitchen sink on the pages but it allowed me to play with all my new eP goodies AND it got me inky.

I hope this inspired you to step outside your comfort zone, to create just for the "what if", you never know what you might discover.


Supplies Used:

12 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, Micki, this is amazing! It seems nothing makes a more wonderful page then when you keep working it, adding more layers. Fantastic results!!!

Donna-Marie said...

Your post reminded me of Donna Downey...have you ever seen one of her videos? The process of making art is never a smooth path :-)
I enjoyed your journey TFS...and BTW not only was your journal entry inspirational but it was beautifully done as well!!

Sena said...

I think it is a great page! I love all the layers and colors you've used.

Redanne said...

Your first paragraph made me smile, you sounded just like me on most days when I try to create! I think your pages turned out beautifully, probably because you did add so much, I loved following your journey and will try the PPs with stencils now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

wow this is really wonderfull

groetjes sannie
ps: fijn pasen

Words and Pictures said...

Layers of amazing experiments with all those great goodies have added up to a really dynamic exciting page spread! Love the look of the Pan Pastels combined with all the inks - pushing through really paid off this time!
Alison x

Tracy said...

Micki I loved reading your journey every step of the way towards these AMAZING pages..woohooo you lady!!
Your posts always inspire and make me smile.
Hugs
Tracy
Xxxc
Pssst...I have those days too!!":-)

toni said...

I love your pages Micki sometimes you just need to just keep going! X

Unknown said...

I love this... I like how you used the 2 stencils to keep the letters within the people shapes... Great idea!!
Your final result is wonderful!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Alison could not find you WOYWW post but thought thus was good one to comment on - well done on using the PP!!

I use them with hair spray too although Brenda says she does I just prefer to set it as stamp afterwards but think she does it the other way around.

- thing with masks I have read they can wreck your sponges so take care - we cant get them over here so treat them with kid gloves,

happy WOYWW Shaz in oz.x #15

Annette Green said...

What fun these pages are Micki. So much to take in and enjoy!

Unknown said...

I think it's fabulous Micki!! Such a great mixture of colors and textures! Very fun!