Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, March 8, 2013

Breathe

Breathe...It's something I frequently need to tell myself.  I tend to be a fast mover...I talk too fast, work on far too many projects all at once, and have a hard time slowing down.  My husband once told me that I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't taking on more work than I can handle.  Those traits can be good for someone who needs to multi-task, especially mamas who also work, but I also have a habit of not paying enough attention to the things that really matter in life.  Take me to the Grand Canyon and I'd take a quick look and then ask what's next on the list...Cleary, I have issues...LOL!

So when I had a couple of free hours at home this past weekend I decided to forget about what I needed to do (clean my poor house) and instead do what I wanted to do...create with my kiddies!  We all got seriously inky and tried out the new Dylusions Ink Sprays and a few Distress Paints on every piece of paper that wasn't already committed to a project!  I think it took us three days to fully remove all of the paint!

I started my two-page journal spread by misting a few Dylusions Ink Sprays over the paper (start by misting your pages with water first).  I used After Midnight, Dirty Martini, and Squeezed Orange on my pages.  Once they were dry I grabbed the 12x12 Turkish Grunge stencil by Donna Downey (yes, having a craft store in your house can come in handy!) and the new White Linen Ink Spray and oh, the results...In love!  The White Linen is just perfect for that hint of color..kind of like a watermark.  Crafty perfection!

Next came a TCW Chevron stencil, which BTW may be discontinued in the 6x6 size...acckk...waiting to confirm that bit of news...and the Squeezed Orange to add a bit more color.

Then..it was...**cough, cough**...time to grab the Flossie stencil from Dylusions, which we are now more than fully stocked with, to add a girl to the left side of my journal pages.  I used Pitch Black paint to fill in the stencil image and then used the Picket Fence Distress Paint to add some swirly text to the body.  I liked the look of the white text so much I added more around both pages.  I then outlined by silhouette with a white gel pen.

You can see the text on this page...isn't it great how soft the images are...you can just barely see it, I love that!  I then grabbed one of my fav Papertreyink stamps and added the leaves all around both pages and added a few highlights with the gel pen.  I also used up a few of my rub ons, you can see the text on the first picture, next to the silhouette (you can click on the photo to enlarge)...along with the words "Life is Good."  A reminder to keep in my wee head... :-)
And then I needed to add a quote...and I need to invest in some big 'ol alpha stickers!  Until then I grabbed a Black Soot re-inker and that worked just perfectly!  I left myself with a reminder to slow down, breathe, and learn to pay more attention to all the little things (that are usually more important!) in life!

I hope you enjoyed today's pages...This is still a learning process for me and I'm not always sure where to stop or what to add but I'm having a blast experimenting!  And if the house never gets fully cleaned but I get more fun times with the kids...that's a-ok with me!

18 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Kim, I think your experiment worked stunningly well, I love that gorgeous background and the way the silhouette stands out from it. The white script looks wonderful too. I think you should find time to experiment more often........ Anne x

Bonnie Irvine said...

Oh my word, Kim. You could be describing me. I constantly have to remind myself to stay in the moment and just breathe it in. This journal spread is wonderful. The background is so full of depth and texture. Love the layering and great use of stamps and stencils. The silhouette looks amazing. Love the crisp white outline and the script inside her. Such a great message...very inspiring art on so many levels.

Dianne said...

Kim I love this the image is so kool,the background is stunning,love the words fabulous job, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend....

Debbie Carriere said...

This is gorgeous!!! I have no clue what half the products are so I am thinking I need to learn! And yep we have similar personality traits ;)

Erin Smetak said...

I am the same way! I thought you were talking about me for a minute there! LOL! LOVE LOVE LOVE your project! You ARE lucky that you have a craft store in your house!!! So envious! ;D
I have that stencil, but have been putting off using it. I love what you have created w/ it!

Donna-Marie said...

Wow!!!
This is really special...I love it...so many techniques, I love the gel pen idea!! We all need to slow down and smell the roses..don't think it is going to happen LOL

Teresa Jaye said...

oh.my.goodness Kim this is amazing. The rich colors you've chosen for you background are so pretty together and that white linen ink is to die for! The silhouette is fabulous - these pages really rock!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow this page is so beautifull ; I really love it!! Great colors!!

Greetings
Maria

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow this page is so beautifull ; I really love it!! Great colors!!

Greetings
Maria

junemac2 said...

Thats fabtastic Kim. Love the white touches and the beautiful background and adore the Breathe sentiment. I need to do that too
hugs June x

Micki said...

omg, love how you did Flossie...... and had to laugh at your "Grand Canyon" comment, that is so me..... ok, I've got about an hour before we have to head out to leave for Arkansas.... I'm heading into the craft room :-)

Love your spread.....

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful piece - and such an important thought for us all! So glad you gave yourself time to breathe and to play - the result is stunning!
Alison x

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful page, Kim! LOL on the Grand Canyon. I hear ya! Love what you did with the sprays and stencils.

Tracy said...

Wow Kim...so beautiful,love Flossie and what you created with the sprays...I am so coming to play!!
I think we all need to take time and Breathe and smell the daisies at times.
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

I have more letters than I can count! You did an amazing job with your color combination. Love your stencil work too! Very very nice!

Broni said...

OMG!! I love this! I almost ordered that white linen spray today, then changed my mind! How stupid was that???

Annette Green said...

Kim, this is great. Love the colors, the feel, the message. You have inspired me once again to try journal pages. (Soon, very soon. Like you, I have many things going at once.) Awesome page!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness this is just gorgeous! Love it! :)