Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Extreme Recycling !

Hi everybody, it's Toni here with a little recycling project. I was unable to get this gift box finished in time to join in with our recent Get Altered 'Recycled' challenge, but I really wanted to let you into the secret of one my favourite recycled materials and here it is....
Good old tomato puree tubes. Once you've consumed the contents cut off the top and bottom, and cut up one side, open out the tube, rinse away any remaining tomato paste and smooth out the tube with the back of a wooden spoon. Trim away any jagged edges. The metal is pliable and easily cut with scissors and dies. I used the Tattered Florals Die to create a festive flower embellishment.
 I haven't tried painting or colouring the metal as I just love the bright gold surface. Just be careful of sharp edges or while you are handling it. My gift box started life as a small cardboard box, the type that a jar of face cream comes in. Unfortunately I can't find the photos I took of this stage. Anyway, I carefully eased the glued part of the box apart and opened it out flat. I then took a sheet of drawing paper, and stamped over the surface with Black Archival Ink using the Tim Holtz Seasonal Catalogue Christmas background stamp. I then positioned the box net, face down on the back of the stamped paper and adhered it with Studio Matte Medium. Once it was completely dry I trimmed the edges and folded the box together adhering the side with more Matte Medium.
I blended a little Vintage Photo Distress ink along the edges for a more vintage look. I then set to with constructing the  flower. I die cut three flower shapes and used scissors to cut one petal from one flower and two petals from another. There are quite a few tuorials on the internet which can better describe how to make these flowers, so I won't go into great depth here. I glued each layer of petals together using a hot glue gun. I then added a shiny brad to the centre before gluing the finished flower onto the lid of the box.
I added a few festive die cut embellishments to finish off my gift box. It's just big enough to add in some little Christmas treats ! I get a lot of pleasure from making something out of nothing, I hope the recipient of this little box will enjoy it as much as I have in making it. We've got a great Get Altered challenge which has just started and you'll find plenty of surprises on the blog as we begin our countdown to Christmas with a different Christmas project posted each day for our Twelve Days Of Christmas.. Make sure you pop back to see what creative festive delights the team come up with! Below is a list of products available from Kim's wonderful eclectic Paperie shop, which I've used on this project. Until next time, happy Christmas crafting ! x



12 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

HAD to see what you'd done with puree tubes, and I wasn't disappointed - WOW! LOVE that idea Toni. That's another thing that won't go in the recycling bin now, lol. I wonder if you could use alcohol inks on the reverse? And imagine how cool this would look in that new bigger tattered florals version! Oh, the possibilities are endless. Thank you for sharing this beautiful box. You are a creative star. Jenny x

Unknown said...

Stunning flower with your extreme recycling, and very creative.

Unknown said...

WHAT! That is amazing!! Tomato Puree tubes . . . seriously the most creative idea of the year!! And such a beautiful project too!! LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Toni ! Who knew about tomato puree tubes ! Sue C x

krcmasterpiece said...

You don't know how many boxes I've altered-but I have been cutting each side and measuring & gluing. This idea of opening the box and doing it in one step is going to be a life saver!

Puree tube-now that's the BEST recycle idea I've heard yet!

It turned out beautiful!!
Merry Christmas!

Sue Lelli said...

This is FANTASTIC, Toni! LOVE how you covered the box and if I ever were to use puree in tubes, I would definitely try my hand at one of these FABULOUS flowers! LOVE this!

Dolly LaBelle said...

I am amazed at how you thought of this. Gorgeous!

Julie Lee said...

Hi Toni! This is such a fabulous idea! I absolutely have to try it, as we get through masses of tomato puree! I love to recycle and you are always so creative and inspirational in your use of recycled items! You are a recycling genius! This is a lovely, lovely make. Julie Ann xx

Micki said...

Oh genius idea to use empty puree tubes. Absolutely awesome flowers and BEAUTIFUL box.

Words and Pictures said...

Who knew that tomato puree tubes were so beautiful on the inside?! Well, you did, Toni! Gorgeous recycling, and I love the box too... but now I "need" those stamps - tempter!!
Alison xx

Almo said...

Wow Toni, ive tried aluminium cans before but for some reason never tomatoe puree tubes, I will now though. Love your little box brilliant recycling idea.Hugs Mo x

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Amazing, who would of thought to use an old tube! Very clever and the results are stunning.