Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Altered Bottle ~ December Get Altered Challenge

Hello ! It's Sue here and it's my turn to choose the theme for the Get Altered Challenge. After scratching my head for quite a while, I decided on Altered Bottle. The eP Get Altered challenge begins the first Thursday of the month and is an opportunity to explore your creative journey, step outside your comfort zone and experiment with new products and techniques. It's all about having fun while creating altered and mixed media art with a chance of winning a $15 gift certificate to the eclectic Paperie .


So, once I'd decided on the theme I then had to find a bottle ! My Mum came to the rescue with an empty ketchup bottle ! I painted it with white Gesso and then cut some stars using the Stacked Stars die and stuck them randomly on to the bottle.


I wasn't really sure where I was going at this point but I decided I needed more texture. I cut some card using the Holly, Beaded & Snowflake Garland strip die. I stuck them to the bottle and painted over them with more Gesso.


I stuck some more pieces to the bottle, including buttons and also some Wendy Vecchi translucent Embossing Paste. I've just realised that the bottle is leaning over in this photo, apologies ! I attended a week end of Finnabair workshops this week and one of the projects was about dark into light, which I really loved. So, I used acrylic paint and painted the bottom half with dark blue and the top half with white paint.


I dry brushed some white paint over the bottom half to highlight the texture.


I then used a metallic wax and brushed it over the raised texture too, love how it's picked up the die cut pieces.


To finish I brushed more wax around the rim of the bottle. I'm hoping to use this as a candle holder so when the wax drips down the sides it will add to the effect.

I hope you've enjoyed my project and look forward to seeing your altered bottles !

Sue
x


8 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

Wow! This is amazing Sue. I love all of the texture and the fabulous transition from light into dark. The metallic highlights really accent the depth and individual elements that combine so beautifully. A ketchup bottle...who knew?!

wendy vecchi said...

FABULOUS!

Sue Lelli said...

WOW! This is the most AMAZING ketchup bottle I have ever seen! LOVE the transformation and the metallic hues!

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - what a stunning make, Sue. It looks amazing - love the texture and the shading from dark to light as you travel upwards - fabulous!
Alison x

JulesinParadise said...

Beautiful bottle and great challenge. Can't wait to play.

Micki said...

awesome Sue. I didn't realize that gesso would stay on the glass. (slapping my forehead). LOVE the effect and I'm definitely playing along.

Tracy said...

Fantastic work, sue! I love the texture and the colors! I've got a few bottles laying around that hubby lets me have to do something "crafty" with. This definitely inspires me to do just that! :)

Rea' said...

Okay, that's a must try bottle... I love the look !! Who knew Gesso and those elements could look that good !!!