Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 19, 2013

12 Days of Christmas - Day 10 - Creating with Silks Acrylic Glazes!


Oh my goodness EPeeps!! Only 2 more days of the ePaperie 12 Days of Christmas . . . but boy, do I have a fun product today!! 

Silks Acrylic Glazes!!


 I am IN LOVE!!  Colors, shine, and SO super versatile!  I stamped with them, I embossed with them, stenciled with them and just plain painted with them!! 

Make sure you use the code:   12DAYS10 when checking out to get your discount!!  What's the deal today? Silks – Buy 3 for $15.99   What a deal because normally buying 3 is $21 ... I know I will be adding to my collection today!! 


I had so much fun that I ended up with a ton of little experiments that I loved . . . yikes, what to do . . . so I cut them up and sewed them together as my patchwork Christmas quilt canvas!!


So, honestly, I had the flu when I started on this project. I sat in bed and watched a ton of YouTube videos about Silks Acrylic Glazes.  There were SO many ideas out there.  My head was swimming (and full of decongestant) so I just experimented!

I stamped - circles and hearts . . .
I put the Silks Glaze on my craft sheet, dipped my stamp into it and stamped it down! I painted the watercolor paper with one coat of Silks Glazefirst!



 I stenciled with embossing paste too.  First I painted one color of Silk onto the paper and after it dried, the snowflake is painted through a stencil! No bleeding under the stencil! (And the stencil is made from paper) 




I embossed - by mixing the Silks glaze with Wendy Vecchi translucent embossing paste and pushed it through stencils! Love the shine and the texture!! (I think this was one of my favorite techniques!!)




To Create the 'quilt'  I cut up all my little experiments and wrapping paper squares into 2x2 squares.  I glued them down to a piece of cardstock paper and let it dry.  Then I took out my sewing machine, and zig-zag stitched around all the pieces. 







Then I decided the 'quilt' needed a home ... so I got a canvas ready.  I put Christy Tomlinson coffee filter paper around the edges down with matte medium.


I painted the edges of the canvas. The Silks are translucent, so you can see every word from the paper underneath! I also got a little crazy with the embossing technique around the edges too . . . and then I glued it all together!!




This was such a fun project!! I hope you enjoy playing with Silks Acrylic Glazes, I think they might be a new favorite around here!!

HINT HINT!!  Now I was also practicing for my ETeam picks challenge ( using wrapping paper in your project.) So make sure this holiday season that you are keeping scraps of wrapping paper to use in a project with me in the future!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Stunning, Karen! Girl, you can work paper (and paints, and paste) like nobodies business! This is beautiful!!

Micki said...

Love your "Quilt". The colors are gorgeous and love how the Silks don't take away from anything because they are translucent. LOVE it.

Sue Lelli said...

OMGosh, Karen, this is STUNNING! LOVE all of the techniques you tried and how you put it all together! I've never used that product before but now I want every color!