Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 5, 2013

New Get Altered Challenge!

Greetings!
Today is the day for the new 
Get Altered Challenge 
here at eclectic Paperie~
I am challenging you to alter your mail! 
I received a brochure from a company selling work vans. I don't know what prompted them to send me this ( they must have seen me packing for a weekend crop!) but I was happy to alter it! If you don't receive any interesting mail to alter then go ahead and alter the exterior of an envelope or package to mail out - make the mail carriers day by creating something fun!
Here is a look at the brochure as I received it. It is about 5 1/2" x 7" and came in the plastic sleeve you see. (I saved that not knowing whether I'll use it or not.) It has 5 double spread pages and 3 tabs and is made out of Kraft paper.
(click on pictures to enlarge and enhance)


My first step was to put Gesso on all of the pages. I did each one differently and apparently got so in to it I only took pictures of two of the pages (doh)! Here are the two I took pictures of. On the first one I spread the gesso on and then pulled some of it off with an acrylic stamp by CTMH. On the second one I applied the gesso through The Crafters Workshop Quatrefoil stencil.
My next step was to put paint on all of the surfaces. I used Tim Holtz Distress Paints for all of them. Wetting the paint down good by spraying with water then moving it around with the edge of a credit card, bubble wrap, or just my fingers created a different effect on each page.




By now the poor kraft paper and two lonely staples could no longer hold up to all the wetness. This was great because it made me think of creative ways to hold it together! So in addition to lots of Mod Podge I used different mediums down the centers of the pages.
On this page I used Tim Holtz Tissue Tape
On this page I used Washi Tape by My Minds Eye

On this page I used Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap
To add some more layers, I used my favorite stamp (Unity She Script) and my NEW favorite stamp (Wendy Vecchi Vintage Mesh) and punchenella with the new line of Wendy Vecchi Archival Inks on all of the pages and Christy Tomlinson Doodle Flowers rub-ons were used throughout.
Dylusions White Linen spray with The Crafters Workshop Mini Peacock stencil on this one:
Wendy Vecchi Black Embossing Paste with The Crafters Workshop Herringbone stencil:
I left the cover fairly plain at this point because I really don't know what I'll be using this little gem for!
It sure was fun and what a difference from the original brochure that came in my mail!
I hope you'll join in the fun and alter a piece of mail with us! Link your project by Midnight Eastern on September 18th using the linky tool below and you'll be entered to win a $15 gift certificate to the awesome eclectic Paperie online store.



Here's the fine print:
The Get Altered Challenge is about exploring your creative journey, about stepping outside of your comfort zone, experimenting with new products, and creating altered and mixed media art.  
We want to see your work and hear about your inspiration!  All of those who play along with our challenge will be entered into a prize drawing for a $15.00 gift certificate to the eclectic Paperie store.
So grab your supplies and play along!  Here are a few things to keep in mind for this challenge…
-You do not have to use products sold in the eP store…but we do love it when you do!
-Share a direct link to your creation, not just your blog, using the Linky Tools feature at the end of this post.  If, for any reason, the Linky Tools doesn’t cooperate, please add a link in the Comments section of the blog.
-When uploading to any online galleries, please use any of the following keywords; eP, eclectic Paperie or Get Altered Challenge. Link your creations to the eP blog.
-If you’d like to be considered as one of our featured projects and be entered into our prize drawing, please be sure to add your link before 
Midnight on  September 18th.
.  The winner will be announced right before the eTeam Picks Challenge.

9 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi there!

I just found your store thru Teresa Jayes blog. I've just created a piece of MailArt. A MailArt postcard made out of a piece of cereal box. Will that work for the GiveAway?
Thanks a bunch! deb

toni said...

Wow! Wish I got that sort of mail, specially after the fab treatment you've treated it to! Lovely colourful layering on each gorgeous page ! Toni x

Rea' said...

How cool is that ! I've often kept "interesting" mail pieces to use as inspiration for other projects... never gotten one like that... I love each page and what you did !!!

Micki said...

I wish the mailman would delivery something like that to me, lo. Awesome way you altered it. LOve all the texture. I'm playing along but still have to finish it tonight :-)

Erin Smetak said...

This was a super fun challenge! I love what you created, Teresa! All that yummy texture!!!! And the colors! Beautiful work!

Tracy said...

Who would have thought...stunning alteration Teresa each and every page!!
I`m going to be playing too it`s a brilliant challenge.
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Teresa, your project is very inspirational, so I came out of my comfort zone and made -mini tag book with old envelops. Just linked my project. thanks..
nagaonkarshilpa.blogspot.in

Redanne said...

Wow Teresa, what an absolutely fantastic transformation! Stunning.

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi Teresa!

I never did see a winner announced. Did i miss it????Hugs! deb :)