Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Altered brush !

Hello, it's Sue here and today I'm sharing my altered brush which is the theme for the eTeam Picks challenge that Tracy has chosen. I was determined to get this done and even though today is the last day of the challenge, I'm pleased I've managed to join in !


So, I raided the box of brushes that we keep for decorating and sanded the handle and removed any loose paint.


I then gave the handle and the metal part of the brush a coat of Gesso.


Then I used Wendy Vecchi's Embossing Paste and patted it over the handle of the brush with a palette knife and left it to dry overnight.


I wanted the handle to have a wooden look so I started to build up layers of acrylic paint and focussed the darker colours where the embossing paste is.When this was dry I brushed over the raised parts with some coloured wax.


I then cut lots of flowers from cream card using the Tattered Flower strip die and stamped the text from the Tim Holtz Marketplace set on to the flowers and blended Victorian Velvet Distress Ink over them.


I then painted some Grunge Board letters with black acrylic paint, when it was dry I sanded the letters to reveal some of the Grunge Board and then rubbed some Vintage Photo Distress ink over them.


I then attached the letters to the handle and added some dyed seam binding to the top.


I painted the bristles with black acrylic paint to cover the previous paint and layered up the flowers and stuck them to the bristles and the handle.


To finish I added dots in the centre of the flowers using a Walnut Brown Viva Paper Pen.


Sue
x



11 comments:

Erin Smetak said...

Gorgeous brush, Sue! Love what you did with the embossing paste!

Jenny Marples said...

Now that's what I call an upgrade!!! Love how you've altered this Sue. Hugs, Jenny x

Astrid Maclean said...

Great make Sue! Even though I'm to late for the challenge, I think you have just inspired me to alter one of these! Adore what you did with the paste, that rusty grungy look in combination with the flowers and words is just perfect!!

toni said...

Great brush Sue,love the rusty texture you've created, all topped off with those pretty flowers x

ParkNSlide said...

Love the shabby chic flowers---what a lovely transformation to this paintbrush!

Kim said...

Beautiful, Sue! I love the look of the embossing paste with the paint...fabulous!

Maryanne said...

What a great project! I love how you textured the handle. It's a fantastic project!

Rita said...

What a fabulous make Sue. Hugs Rita xxx

Maggie said...

Great altered Art Sue

MaggieH

Micki said...

I love how you used the embossing paste on the brush. Fabulous..... must try that myself, :-).

The altered brush is wonderful, love that grungy look yet with the touches of flowers is perfect.

Tracy said...

Ohhing and aaahing here Sue..oh my giddy aunt I am in love with the embossing paste and how it all looks woohooo you lady...BRILLIANT ALTERED ART!!
Yeaaaah you played along.
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxo