Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Is it Too Early for Halloween ? Mixed Media Canvas

Hi everyone Toni here with another Halloween post. I'm sorry, I know it's a bit early but I found this adorable witch's cat picture and just had to go with it. It also gave me a great excuse to put my new Tim Holtz Dies into action. I started this canvas in a rather back to front way, as I started work on the die cut elements before the background. This is how the background looked before I painted and inked it....
I started by applying some torn book pages, to a 7x9 canvas. I then stamped this brocade pattern onto a 2 ply tissue, using black Archival Ink. The stamp is from an Artemio set I've had in my stash for sometime. I then separated the layers and adhered the stamped layer, using Studio Matte Multi Medium. Once this was completely dry, I set to with Distress Paint in Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap and Vintage Photo. This is the result...
I used a little Black soot Distress Paint around the edges and added some Vintage Photo Distress Stain to blend everything together. I also stamped the sentiment onto a piece of the tissue and adhered it to the surface. I actually really like the way this turned out, I think it looks like a piece of old wallpaper. ( a quick aside: I've got the TV on and there's a programme on about wallpaper, with lots of vintage examples!) I cut the bottles from manila card using Tim's Apothecary Bottles Die. I coloured them with Distress Inks, and followed on with clear embossing powder.
I used the Ornate Frame die and a Movers and Shapers Mini Pocket Watch Die as well. I coloured these with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint, and adhered a piece of acetate to the back before adding the print out of the cat and the stamped watch face. I also stenciled a piece of card to use as a base  for the bottles. Here's a couple of close ups...

Don't you just love that cat! It's actually a digital download from Alpha Stamps. I curved each bottle over a pencil before adhering just the sides of each one. I was thrilled to have an opportunity use one of these fab little metal Skull and Cross Bones charms from the new Ideaology range. They are so detailed! To complete the canvas I added  a die cut number 31, which I coloured with Black Soot Distress Ink and clear embossed. I even managed to get another  of my favourite Donna Downey stamps in on the label around the bottle !!! So that's it for now, This is my second Halloween style project so far, such good fun, I wonder how many more I can do before the end of  October ?
Here's a list of the products I've used which are available from Kim's lovely eclectic Paperie shop. Happy creating folks x


18 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

This looks fab , great use of the bottles and the idea of the clear embossing! A great make x hugs xtracevx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, Toni - this is fabulous. The finish on the bottles is amazing, and the whole piece looks amazing.
Alison x

Kim said...

Toni - This is just brilliant! Love it! Those bottles are amazing!

Maryanne said...

This is a fantastic Halloween project! I just got the bottles die and I can't wait to use it! I love how you did the background!

Paper Profusion said...

Fantastic canvas Toni! It does indeed look like vintage wallpaper - glad the TV was on! Love the curved bottles and all the diecuts. Stunning work. Nicola x

ionabunny said...

Never too early for Halloween. Love that cat! Really beautiful canvas

Krisha said...

GREAT WORKS! Love all the details and yes the cat is a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous project Toni ! The little cat is fabulous and I love the aged look you've achieved. Sue C x

Mickie said...

This is spooktacular!

Erin Smetak said...

Oooh, love this!! Yes, you can never be too early for Halloween!!

SIL05 said...

Amazing Toni, particularly loving the halloween theme! It is definitely coming around to that time of year now. I love the distress effect on the potion bottles, appears as if it's really (made from glass!!! ), and the Cat's expression is indeed something fantastic to regard!! Absolutely fantastic, Brilliantt!!!! -SIL

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

This is really cool!

BethW said...

Be still my beating heart=this is just the absolutely perfect inspiration I have been looking for. Going to borrow a bit tonight if that's okay?Thank you so much!

Kimberly S said...

It's never too early for Halloween! What a gorgeous canvas you've created. :)

Tracy said...

Fabulous Toni...that cat is superb and yes that background does look like the most deelish wallpaper!!
The bottles and and all the little bits and bobs are stunning....love this!!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
Xxx

Dolly LaBelle said...

I love this. How cute is that cat too?! We need a stamp like that.

mamablitger said...

I'm just crazy about your canvas!!!! It is fabolous ! The background you made can be used so many ways. Not only for Halloween.
I'm grateful that you shared your art work with us. It means a lot of inspiration to me.
Sunny hugs from SPAIN

Micki said...

Love how you created that background. I have so many "retired" papers this would work so well on. Love the clear embossing and nope, it's never too early for Halloween :). Awesome canvas.