Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Serenity on a canvas !

Hello it's Sue C here and today I'm sharing a canvas that I absolutely adore ! It's not often I'm really happy with a project and can look at it and wish I'd done this or added that, but this time is one of those rare occasions !


I received this gorgeous stamp set by Unity Stamps just before we went away on holiday and I've been itching to have a play ! The stamp is quite large so I thought a canvas would do it justice but I also wanted to make sure the image was really sharp so I decided to stamp on to tissue paper first and then transfer the image to the canvas after it had been painted.


This is the reverse of the image after I've done the detail painting. When you paint on tissue you always have to do the colours in reverse, so any shading needs to be done first then the lighter colours second. I then painted over the whole piece with the same colour that I had painted the canvas and lifted the image very carefully into place.


As the image is quite large it was a little tricky getting it onto the canvas without ripping it so I was quite pleased with only the few wrinkles I ended up with ! Doesn't she look gorgeous ! Once she was on the canvas I then painted over the edges of the tissue paper to flatten them down and blend them in.


When I first saw this stamp she gave me the feeling that with her eyes shut she was closing out the world around her so I wanted the surrounding canvas to be quite busy. I made a mask by stamping her a second time onto a piece of paper and cutting her out, then I used the TCW Retroburst stencil and Wendy Vecchi's white Embossing Paste. When the paste was dry I then started to paint using a brush and baby wipe.


I built up the colours layer by layer, keeping the darker colours to the edges and corners. I then used the TCW Onion Skin stencil with white acrylic paint in the areas with no embossing paste. The dotted lines are created using a Catalyst Silicone Wedge Tool that's been dipped into white acrylic paint and then dabbed on to the canvas.


I loved all the sentiments in the stamp set too so used most of them ! The gorgeous canvas flower is by Maya Road and I felt it was enough as I didn't want to detract from this gorgeous image.


To finish here's a close up so you can see the texture from the embossing paste.

I hope you've enjoyed today's project as much as I did making it !

Sue
x

15 comments:

Redanne said...

You are so right Sue, she is gorgeous but then, so is your canvas. I would be delighted with this too! Beautiful work. Anne x

Juliz Design Post said...

Brilliant work, lovely to see the different stages. Julie x

wendy vecchi said...

as always...lovely!

mamablitger said...

Sue what a fabolous result you achieved. Just LOVE what you created ! You did a great job on this canvas. Thank you for the detailed step-by-step tutorial.
Thanks for sharing your pretty art !!
Hugs from Spain

Unknown said...

OH WOW!! I Love this! Serious talent Sue!! I just have to buy that stamp now and try to recreate this - this is brilliant!! I love it!! love.

Julia Aston said...

Absolutely gorgeous Sue! I can't believe how you painted that on the tissue and figuring out all the reverse coloring - and then all the stenciling and layering of color around her - L-O-V-E!!!

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous Sue! Great colourwork, fabulous texturing and executed beautifully. Great job! Chris xxx

Sue Lelli said...

Just BEAUTIFUL, Sue!

toni said...

I Really love this Sue!! Great technique thanks for the tutorial ! Xx

krcmasterpiece said...

I LOVE this piece!! Using the colors opposite & putting the tissue paper onto your canvas worked great! You've totally incorporated her onto the background. Thanks for sharing!

Dolly LaBelle said...

I like this idea for "beginners", like me. I am always afraid of ruining a canvas, as I am not an artist. But with this idea I can try it. Love it! Thank you for inspiration.

Anni said...

So amazing!
Anni

Micki said...

Gorgeous. Love the darker blue around the edge of the canvas, really makes her pop. Beautiful.

Broni said...

This is really gorgeous, Sue!

Erin Smetak said...

WOWOWOWOWOW! This is awe-inspiring! There are just no words!