Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My first ATB !

Hello it's Sue C here and today I'm sharing my first venture with an ATB ! I was very lucky to win the ATB die from the very lovely Anita Houston and after seeing alot of different ideas decided to give it a go.


This is what the block looks like before anything is done to it. Now, at this point my camera's battery died on me so unfortunately I don't have many steps to show you before the finished block.


I decided I wanted to make the block in a vintage theme so used my favourite colours scheme of browns with a hint of red. I used various stencils with acrylic paint, building up the layers of stencilling and colours. The panel that I've left blank will be the bottom panel so I've not done any stencilling or stamping on it.



I decided this would be the front of the block and I've done some stamping using Wendy Vecchi's Vintage Mesh background stamp with Potting Soil Archival ink. I also used the border stamp from Wendy's The Beauty of Art set with Watering Can Archival ink. The gorgeous frame is  by Maya Road and I had to search through a lot of stamps before I found a word that fitted !


On this panel I used a Prima stencil with Wendy Vecchi's Crackle Paste and when it was dry I blended some acrylic paint over the top. I've added a Prima tile and the numbers are also by Prima. The vintage key is by Graphic 45 and I've dabbed it with some black acrylic paint to knock back the silver finish. The numbers have also been painted with black paint and when dry I've brushed some brown, metallic wax over them.


I've used the Wendy Vecchi sentiment stamp from the Heirloom Art set on this panel and just added a metal corner embellishment.


I used the mini Tim Holtz stamps on this panel for the birds and binoculars. The gorgeous butterfly is one from the Prima Ingvild Bolme collection and I've lightly painted it with watered down acrylic paint and then rubbed some of the brown, metallic wax around the edges.


I took the above photo before the glue was dry so unfortunately you can still see it ! The clock is a Finnabair Mechanical embellishment and the centre piece is a Tim Holtz Compass Coin and I've added a Spinner to the centre.


I used my finger to rub more brown metallic wax around all of  the joins of the block and I painted 4 little cotton reels to make the feet.

I really enjoyed creating something different for this project and I can see how these can become rather addictive !

Remember the current ePlay challenge is Get Stencilled so you have loads of time to join in and you may even like to make an ATB !

Sue
x

14 comments:

toni said...

First of many I should think Sue! This is gorgeous, love the vintage look and fab embellishments ! Xx

Jenny Marples said...

A huge round of applause for this one Sue!!! LOVE the way you've built up those layers of stencilling and stamping to create depth in 2D. The altered embellishments are so well chosen too. Love the way the key hangs from the 'rings' and the clock/compass spinner. So glad you won this die and I look forward to seeing many more. Jenny x

Rita said...

Absolutely Stunning ATB. I can see many more of these being shown in the near future Sue. Hugs Rita xxx

Dolly LaBelle said...

Wonderful colors and embellishments. I love it!

Julia Aston said...

Love your box Sue! I recently purchased this die after seeing all of the wonderful projects out there - I've got some pieces cut but nothing made yet! Your stampings and embellies are lovely on this! Great colors and shadings too!

Dorothy said...

This is so awesome!!!

wendy vecchi said...

another masterpiece! this looks so cool!
love it!

Wyvern said...

That's gorgeous! I'll be checking out this new altered form after seeing this great work. Very inspirational.

Unknown said...

This is GORGEOUS Sue, it may be your first but what a first! Me thinks it won't be your last either. Fabulous artwork and a gorgeous finished box! Chris xxx

Unknown said...

Your ATB is fabulous Sue! Definitely on my to-make list now.

Words and Pictures said...

So cool, Sue - this is a fantastic ATB... I'm guessing you'll get as addicted as everyone else!
Alison x

Micki said...

That is gorgeous. The finished box looks like it's made out of wood. Love how you added layers upon layers with the stencils. And the embellishments are just perfect. Wonderful ATB and you need to make lots more :-)

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE all of the details you added! And it DOES look like wood! FAB creation!

Andiepants said...

Absolutely amazing! I love this piece!

{{hugs}}
Andiepants