Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Altered Playing Cards


Hi everyone! It's Bonnie here today to share a trio of altered playing cards with you. This is often where I go when my mojo has gone for a walkabout. I'm not sure if it's the smaller size, the freedom of the background, or just that they are so fun to create but it seems to be a great place to start when I'm in a creative slump. I start out with sanded and gessoed backgrounds which I've added basic colour to using Neocolor II crayons, gelatos, and big brush pen. Stencilling and stamping are then done on a whole bunch at once with no idea of what image I'll be adding. Bits of scrap papers, scrap die cuts, and leftover embossed scraps are added randomly, again with no thought as to the outcome. Finally, I go through my little bin of precut images, often from Deviant Scrap, to match up images with backgrounds. I usually audition several at once (sometimes up to 10 cards and images) and switch them out until I am pleased with the results. Then I go looking for appropriate (or inappropriate...lol) sayings. Occasionally I will start with the saying and then look for an image that suits it.

The card above started with the same process emphasizing the colour around the card with gelatos, stampimg with Jet Black Archival ink, and stencilling with TCW's Mini Punchinella and white gesso. The saying was chosen first and then the image paired with it because the couple look like they are full of joy (kidding). That unexpected or unusual pairing makes me laugh. After doodling and black Big Brush pen around the outside, some punched black stars which happened to be sitting on my table were added.


The second card followed the same process but used TCW's Mini Halftone Borders stencil with white gesso. Black gesso bottle top rings were added to the background before the images. I generally mat the wording with black cardstock and in this case, I did the same with the image to make her more visible against the busy background. The sun was popped up on foam tape to add dimension and that great shadow behind him.


The third card's background looked like a sunset and the torn papers looked like mountains in the horizon so I thought this image of the couple looking off into the distance suited it. The background stencilling is white gesso through TCW's Well Rounded stencil. Again, black gesso rings were added with bottle top stamping. More stamping was done with a TH zigzag stitching stamp and also with my dotty stamp and Coffee Archival ink. The scallop border was a punched remnant edged with Walnut Brown Big Brush pen. The threaded black buttons are from my stash.

The great thing about a project like this is that it can be accomplished over several shorter sittings. Maybe one day. I'll print and fussy cut images, another I'll prep backgrounds, another I'll add colour and so on. It allows me to continue to create at the level that suits my mood and seems to entice my mojo to return one small step at a time. What do you do when your mojo goes into hibernation? I'd love to hear.

Thanks for visiting today. I appreciate that!
Bonnie

These are some of the products from the eclectic Paperie shop that I used on these cards:







5 comments:

Julia Aston said...

These are so incredibly bright and colorful Bonnie! Love the bold colors and super fun images you have used on these great little cards!

Sue Lelli said...

What a FUN clever collection of cards! Love all the details, Bonnie! You had me at margarita!

mamablitger said...

Bonnie your altered playing cards are just fabolous. Oh dear. They are so vibrant, fun and cute art ! I will remember your trick about matting words and images with black cardstock. Super idea. Thanks for sharing !!!
Hugs from SPAIN

Micki said...

Bonnie, these are awesome. LOVE the colors and all the doodles!!!! PS: thank you for covering for me and lo, I had a much needed margarita last Thursday eve.

Erin Smetak said...

How cool is this?! LOVE these cards, Bonnie! The bright colors, the quirky words! It's awesome!