Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Art Journal Play



I played in my art journal today with Donna Downey's Art & Possibility stamps and the new Tim Holtz Sizzix Picture Wheel die... I built these pages up with several layers of book paper and gesso, then colored them with Distress Paints (Weathered Wood and Broken China).  

I added the book paper to the pages and coated with gesso, then let dry before coming in with the Distress Paints, which I applied lightly and then spritzed with water.  Sorry I don't have more photos to share but unfortunately I had to photograph this at night and that's never good.

I added the Donna Downey large floral stencil by Prima in various places around the edges, using black paint to make it pop.  I then went back over it with a dry brush of gesso in some places, to tone it down.  Sounds contradictory, but I like having the variation in color.

I embossed the two Picture Wheel diecuts with the Tim Holtz Gears Texture Fade:


and handwrote some words in the spaces.  I attached them across the pages with an older Sizzix border die.

I also used the chicken wire stencil to add some interest across the pages.

Thanks for the visit!  Hope you'll check out our current eTeam challenge while you're here.

15 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Marjie, fabulous pages and wonderful use of Tim's picture wheel die - what a great idea to use it on journal pages, need to try and remember that one! Hugs, Anne x

Kim said...

Those flowers rock! Beautiful coloring and love seeing that die in use!

Dorothy said...

Very clever! Love it!

Claudine said...

Very cool, I love the embossing in the picture wheels, great thinking on that one. Also loving those flower stamps!

Sandy said...

Well it sure does look like you have had tons of fun with your art journal - I do like the picture wheel - maybe I need to get that die.
Sandy

Micki said...

love how you used that die. at first glance you could also use it to create the wheel carriage of a train.... ok, sorry got off thinking. :-).

Love the page, the color and adding the flowers....definitely love those picture wheels.

toni said...

Great journal pages lots of lovely layers i like the way you've used black for the flowers, i've just finished some pages using the same stencil but with a different look. thats what i love about all of this, endless variations and interpretations xx

Kay Wallace said...

Bravo, Marjie! You have used Tim's die so very creatively here! I love creating in my art journal with black, but it's not always as easy as you make it seem here. While often overpowering, here black remains the focus yet allows the viewer to move about the pages effortlessly to read all the stamps--which I loved doing! Quite an enchanting journal spread!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Great colors, Marjie! This makes me think of an old time typewriter ribbon! How fun! Love those big flowers, and I think you were right on the money to tone them down with gesso. It gives the piece an almost dreamlike quality. Love all the stencils, too!

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous pages and great use of the picture wheel die.
Hugs {brenda} x0x

Annette Green said...

Great pages Marjie. I sure hope you're bringing your art journal to Ranger U. Would LOVE to see all your great creations in person. I love the picture wheel too!

Tracy said...

Beautiful pages and woohoo how great the picture wheel looks Marjie!!
Xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic pages, Marjie - amazing work!
Alison x

A Magical Whimsy said...

The Picture Wheel diecut reminds me so much of the View Master slide wheels we used to 'view' as children.
I can just see using some vintage view master wheel slides in an altered art project.
This is very cool!
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

Bonnie Irvine said...

I love this colour combination and that clever use for the viewmaster die. The stencilling looks amazing...great contrast between the curvy flowers and the other more linear stencil.