Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 22, 2013

A Stitch in Time.

Hi there it's Toni here ready to share a project I made with my new goodies from the lovely eP shop. I ordered the new Tim Holtz Mini Blue Print Set 3 and the Mini Pocket Watch die,there were other things in my order but I'll share those at a later date. Boy I'll never be rich! The project I've made is a 'tag book sewing kit' and this is how I put it together. I started out by printing off some vintage sewing clipart from a Tim Holtz Distressables Elements CD I've had for ages.I also used some clip art I already had on my computer.
I glued my chosen pictures to a piece of paper from the Authentique Renew collection. I almost hate using these gorgeous papers as I have to decide which side to use and I always love  both sides! I then cut out the images and gave them a bit of Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the edges. Once dry, I added some sewing notions to each card, thread, needles, press studs and some vintage pearl buttons. I then turned my attention to making the tag backgrounds. I used some tags I already had in my stash, they measure 5" x 2 1/2". I splodged a variety of Distress Stains onto my craft mat and smooshed the tags through, first one side and then the other.
Once dry, I inked over them with Antique Linen Distress before  stamping over with the Mini Blue Print Stamps on both sides,using Gathered Twigs Distress ink and more Vintage photo around the edges.
I really like the way these stamps can be used to create a background pattern. I also used a tape measure stamp I had in my collection for one of the tags. my initial idea was to fold and sew the bottom of the tags to create a pocket to put the cards in, but it didn't show enough of the cards. So I had a rethink and decided to use some sticky backed Velcro spots.
These, I think, work really well. As you can see the whole of the card plus some of the tag background and the cards are quite securely attached but easy to remove.
I really like the way the sewing cards look like they're straight out of a vintage sewing basket. On the last tag which became the front cover, I used my new die to create a mini pocket watch. I die cut two shapes and punched out the centre of one of them with a 1 1/2" punch. I added Treasure Gold paste to the frame and stuck a piece of acetate on the back.  I then stamped the watch face onto a piece of manila card, cut it out and mounted onto the die cut shape I then glued the frame on top. I finished off by adding a computer print out of the age old saying " a stitch in time saves nine" wise words indeed.x

These are some of the lovely goodies I've used on this project which are available from the eclectic Paperie Shop.

8 comments:

Redanne said...

Toni, this is a fabulous piece of work, it has such a vintage feel to it and I love how you made the wonderful backgrounds and then used the velcro attachers - clever idea and wonderful result. Love this! Hugs, Anne x

Jenny Marples said...

This is crammed full of clever ideas Toni! Love the detachable elements, the tag backgrounds and the multi-stamping to create a pattern. Your purchases were well chosen. Hugs, Jenny x

Words and Pictures said...

A simply brilliant project, Toni - I love everything about it - gorgeous work!
Alison x

Annette Green said...

LOVE these tags, Toni. I'm a big fan of the vintage sewing trend and you did a fabulous job!

Sarah said...

I love, love, love your project. The sewing notions look like you picked them right out of grandma's basket.

Rea' said...

Toni, that is beyond cool, great backgrounds !

Tracy said...

This is sooo beautiful Toni,love the vintage feel it has,your backgrounds are fabulous and the use of velcro a great idea!!!!
I adore everything about it..gorrrrrgeous.
Hugs
Tracy
Xxxx

Micki said...

Ooohhh love it. So cool how you added the notions.