Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 4, 2013

Taking Flight

Hello - Alison here!  I'm delighted to be offering my first official post here at eclectic Paperie.  Since joining the team, I've so enjoyed discovering new crafty goodies and ways to use them.

I'm sharing some details today of the steps in creating one of my altered canvases - so I hope it will also serve as some extra inspiration for the brand new eP Get Altered Challenge - Using Canvas as well then!


I started with a blank 5 x 7 inch canvas, and gave it a coat of gesso. While that was still wet, I started layering torn pieces of the beautiful Serenade paper collection from Basic Grey.  I'd edged the pieces with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink so that they had some definition against the pale,  textured background.


Once they were in place, I brushed another light wash of gesso over them (gesso diluted with a little water, to make it less opaque, so that the designs will continue to show through) to give the papers a distressed, shabby chic look.  When I work with a canvas, I love to take the design over the edges, to make the most of the dimensionality.


I added some stamping using the co-ordinating Serenade music stamp from Hero Arts.


The next stage was to apply some stencilling using the beautiful Crafter's Workshop template, Mini Mariposa.  I used Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks, and tried to position them so that they covered both paper and naked canvas so that there would be different textures under the ink.


I also used the Mariposa template with some texture paste to create dimensional butterflies on the canvas.  You smear the paste on with a palette knife, make sure all the areas you want filled are filled, and smooth away any excess before carefully lifting the template away.


Once the paste was dry, I applied some embossing ink and then added the beautiful Liquid Platinum embossing powder to it.  I love the shimmer of it, and the subtle glamour it brings.


I also used the Liquid Platinum on one of the Idea-ology bookplates as my centrepiece.   I cut the large pair of wings from the Layered Wings Die, using Grungeboard, and blended Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs DIs onto them.  Then I stamped a flourish in embossing ink, and brought the Liquid Platinum back into play - I love how it catches the light.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope this piece inspires you to try out something new... and if you incorporate canvas in your project, then you can play along with the brand new Challenge here at eclectic Paperie.  
And have fun playing!
Alison x

Project supplies:  


27 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The butterfly is a grand addition...simply grand! Gorgeous canvas!

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison,
this is amazingly beautiful, I too LOVE the butterfly, but the whole canvas is gorgeous.
Hugs,Dorthe ---and thankyou for a beautiful morning!

Jenny Marples said...

Yummy canvas! Loving the liquid platinum embossing powder too. Gives some beautiful shine to the piece. What a way to start this adventure! Well done hun, hugs Jenny x

Claudia N. said...

So beautiful, Alison!

Thanks for the awesome stepxstep! Love your use of stencils and that awesome layering!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Marjie Kemper said...

This is beyond gorgeous, Alison. I'm totally loving the layered look and the textured butterfly.

Paper Profusion said...

Gorgeous canvas Alison. I too love the butterfly. Thanks for wonderful deets. Nicola x

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Netty said...

Beautiful canvas Alison and loving all the lustrous layers. Annette x

Hettie said...

Absolutely love this and well done for catching some blue sky for us too! Great that you have taken time to explain the techniques!
xx

Annie said...

Wow ....absolutely love the butterfly...it's stunning. Thanks for sharing your techniques Alison

Hugs

Annie x

Gio said...

Wonderful! And thanks for the tuto, Alison!!

Karen McAlpine said...

Hi Alison!. Great piece. I like how you added the paper on top of the wet gesso.

Marlena M. said...

GORGEOUS butterfly!

Kim said...

Simply amazing project Alison! Love it!

Annette Green said...

Alison, this is gorgeous! Love the embossed butterfly technique. Great inspiration!

Redanne said...

A truly stunning canvas Alison, love the embossed and dimensional butterfly and those wings are my favourite die at the moment. Love the pic in the garden, it looks like the wings are about to fly........ Hugs, Anne x

Sarah said...

So many techniques on such a small canvas with outstanding results. Beautiful work, Alison.

Colleen said...

Alison,
This is really beautiful. I love all the texture and the colors are amazing.

Heather said...

Thanks for your wonderful comment. This is beautiful Alison, such stunning techniques and wonderful layering and awesome details.
Have you thought about entering it into Basic Grey challenge - Anything Goes.

hugs
Heather xx

Tracy said...

Beautiful,stunning first post Alison!
The texture of that butterfly and the wings...wow..looove!!
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Astrid Maclean said...

Fantastic canvas! Love everything about it, but the wings around the ornate whatever it's called is inspired!!

gayle said...

Beautiful canvas :) love all things winged! And a beautiful idea to take a shot in the tree, looks fab :)

Nan G said...

So beautiful! Love the way you've photographed it outside.

Unknown said...

Love this Alison and I appreciate that you shared how you made this wonderful project. Congrats on your new DT position, you will make an awesome addition to this team. :)

Brenda Brown said...

A stunning canvas Alison, beautifully shabby and great techniques.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Erin Smetak said...

This is beautiful!!!

Broni said...

Just beautiful, Allison! I love the textured shimmery butterfly especially!!