Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Get Altered!

Good morning ePers!  Julie here and it seems like it's been forever!! (Actually, I missed my last post so maybe it has been forever!)   I'm sure by now you are all up with our 1st great Get Altered Challenge, right?  Well, just in case, check out THIS post for all the details - there's a prize involved peeps!  Scroll down to the bottom of that post too and check out some of the amazing projects people have made for the challenge, very cool!!

Well, I got some new supplies, put my thinking cap on and came up with a little altered canvas that I hope sparks an idea or creative thought in your brain. Mostly I'm a card maker so this was a bit "out there" for me, but it wouldn't be called a challenge if it was easy!!! Try something new, you might like it! (I will link up all the products I used at the end of the post so bear with me)


Ta da!  This was a process, really I started out with no idea what I was going to do.  I had the cute little 6x6 Burlap Canvas (very cool and something quite out of the ordinary!) and some ultra cool new Faber Castel Gelatos but that's about it.  When we had our blog hop with Wendy Vecchi I was sent this Arts Part Bird but I only used the wings (remember my Hope Angel?) so I pulled that out.  I have to say that it really does look better in person.  The color of the bird is more of a pinky-red (not orangey) and it's shimmery and shiney!

I started by covering the bird with some vintage book pages.  I have the Red collection of Gelatos so I used the little stamp that comes in the package and tried some emboss resisting - it doesn't photograph well but it's there!  I mostly used the red gelato and just rubbed it around the embossed area and spread it around with my fingers and a bit of water.  I also did quite of bit of spraying with a pink glimmer mist.


I covered the wing with some paper from Authentique, toned it down with Picket Fence Distress Stain and then added some gold glimmer mist.  Then I went back over the whole thing and added some sponging with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.  I also added some dots using a pencil eraser as my "stamp".


The tag was made with Grunge Paper, sprayed and ink with the same tools. I added a little rub-on detail in the corner and a stamped sentiment.  I opted to just adhere it right to the canvas without much other fuss except the vintage seam binding I had.  Overall I'm pleased, it's very different for me but I love the vintage feel of it and it really was fun to play with new products!

Ok, you have a few more days to get in on the action - the winner will be chosen on 1/16 - get out there and Get Altered!













11 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliant, Julie - I love how you've used the burlap as the base for your gorgeous book text bird! Lovely, lovely project...
Alison x

Kim said...

This is darling, Julie! I love it and I love the burlap canvas as the base!!

Annette Green said...

This is so sweet. Love that bird. Makes me smile!

Erin Smetak said...

I love your bird, Julie! The whole project is wonderful!

Micki said...

ohhhhh, that makes me want to CASE this cutie. Dang, I would not have thought to put ART Parts with the Burlap....;..... LOVE it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! Thank you for commenting on my blog.

Tracy said...

Love your bird on the canvas Julie !!! xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

I love your canvas, Julie, especially that sweet bird with his funkie eye and the way you've used the bling!

Donna-Marie said...

Hey girl!
Love the burlap canvas and that bird is soooo stinkin cute :-)
hugs D-M

Bast said...

Julie that is just too cute! I love the way the burlap looks as a background to that sweet little bird. Thanx so much for the inspiration!

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Precious! I love the texture the burlap adds, and the color is fantastic!