Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 2, 2013

Summer Canvas

Hello everybody, Toni here to share a summer inspired canvas. Here in the UK we've actually been enjoying some really good summer weather and it's brought a smile to the nation! I know we tend to go on about the weather but believe me this is the first really warm summer we've had for years. So to celebrate the sun coming out I've produced this canvas using lots of Dylusions inks, some stencilling and a touch of gold leaf for added sparkle. I started out by spraying white tissue paper with  a selection of Dylusions inks.
This was messy but such good fun !
Once this was dry, I selected a piece big enough to cover a  5 x 7 inch canvas. I used Studio matte Multi Medium to adhere it. I then set to with some stencilling using Distress Paints to create the large flower shape and then Embossing Paste through Claudine Hellmuth's  Wall Flowers stencil. I also did some background stencilling with  TCW's Tiny Circles.
Once the Embossing Paste was dry, I replaced the stencil over each flower shape and dabbed on some 'Flitter Glue' using a small piece of Cut and Dry Foam. This glue is really sticky! I then  applied pieces of gilding leaf in a bright gold colour. I love a bit of full on bling and I think it goes very well with the hot pink and orange coloured background.
It's pretty difficult to apply when your fingers are sticky so I suggest a quick hand washing to remove all traces of  glue, before handling the gold leaf sheets. I've used Eberhard Faber Gold leaf for this project.
 I stamped the words onto some spare pieces of  the inky tissue paper, using the Stampers Anonymous Worn Text Stamp set. I love that you get both upper and lower case letters, punctuation and numbers in this set. They are also really easy to line up when stamping a whole word. I adhered the words to the canvas with more Multi Medium. Once the canvas was finished, I took a tip from Claudine Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Book and made a simple wooden frame using balsa wood strips, which I first coated with Inca Gold Paste, before stapling them onto the canvas. I like the way this just finishes it off and contains the image.
So that's my tribute to Summer, I hope you are all enjoying it as much as I am ! x

 Here's a list of the supplies I've used available from the lovely eP shop. Don't forget to have a look at all the fab new products Kim has been taking delivery of as well !


7 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

Love the summery feel to the canvas and the idea of applying gold leaf to the stencilled areas. Great job Toni. Hugs, Jenny x
ps. had to go in to school all week this week for some end of year/start of year prep stuff that needed doing, so the hols start today (with a pile of washing/cooking/ironing to get out of the way of course!!)

Words and Pictures said...

Gorgeous colours, and the gilding looks fabulous.
Alison x

Tracy said...

Hi Toni...3 of my favourite words to live by..gorrgeous, colorful Art work Toni and yeah at last some warm weather in Scotland.
Have a great weekend
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Sandy said...

Tonie this is so very pretty - a joy to look at!!
Sandy

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is lovely, Toni; so vibrant,

Lucy x

mamablitger said...

Tony you did a fabolous job on this SUMMER canvas. Love the vi rant colors and the words you had chosen.
Great idea with the " framing" using Balsa tree. Is that readily avaible in craft stores ?
Thanks a lot for sharing your pretty artwork !!
Hugs from Spain

Bonnie Irvine said...

, this is a fabulous tribute to summer. The colours are so fresh and yummy and I love the gold leaf highlighting the stencilling. The black lettering provides lovely contrast. It makes me smile.