Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Embracing Imperfection - An Altered Bottle


 Hi, Lucy here, with my first project as Guest Designer for August. As I first crossed your path with the EP Altered Bottle challenge I thought, 'Stick with what you know, Lucy!', although today's offering is a very different style, with a Parisian theme and shades of blue. It started off as this empty glass bubble bath bottle:-

 
I used blue acrylic paint round the edges, then crackle, then white acrylic paint all over:-


I roughly drew around the bottle onto tissue paper to create two circles for each side of my bottle. I used different shades of StazOn to stamp layers of images from the sets Tiny Things and Paris Memoirs finishing off with the Frenchman from Paris Memoirs on one piece and the Eiffel Tower on the other in Black, as my focal images. I then applied them to the bottle using Gel Medium, and blended some Distress Ink in Chipped Sapphire and Shaded Lilac around the edges of the bottle to highlight its round shape and frame it.


I mixed blue acrylic paint with embossing paste and spread it through TCW Distressed Harlequin Stencil and highlighted the raised areas with some watered down Viva Ferro on a brush. I picked the Tim Holtz wordband 'Embrace Imperfection' and rubbed some white acrylic paint into the wording to highlight and attached it to a piece of chain to go round the neck of the bottle, in the style of an old port decanter.


I bid for some decanter stoppers on ebay and this beautiful blue one led my colour choices for this project, as I used it to replace the original plain one, as a finishing touch.


18 comments:

toni said...

Oooo! Love your altered bottle, love the Parisian theme goes so well with the shape. gorgeous colour and surface treatment, the stopper is perfect. So great to see another altered bottle I really enjoyed that challenge x

Astrid Maclean said...

Love this! So beautifully stamped (using fab stamps), it looks fantastic!

Deborah said...

Absolutely brilliant, Lucy.

Angelnorth said...

Great bottle shape as a base and a lovely finished project, beautiful colours and textures!

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant Lucy - you have worked your magic one again. Perfect

Maryanne said...

I love this bottle, Lucy! I love the crackle painted edges! That is such a great design idea rather than crackling the entire bottle. Love it!

Terry said...

Fabulous altered bottle, Lucy! Love the crackled background with the Parisian theme! Congratulations on your GDT spot on EP! Hugs!

Gio said...

It's lovely Lucy!

So stylish and classy. Brava!

Tracy said...

Gorrrgeous altered bottle Lucy, loving the parisan feel to it!!!
Big hugs
Tracy xxxx

Julie Lee said...

I think this altered bottle is really, really impressive. I love everything about it. Julie Ann xx

Broni said...

Fabulous project, Lucy! Great colors and great images!!

Micki said...

oh wow, love how you altered this bottle the stamp is perfect for this type of bottle. Gorgeous.

Sid said...

Love the bottle and also love that gorgeous top !!

Words and Pictures said...

What a fantastic altered bottle, Lucy - it's an absolutely gorgeous creation!
Alison x

Michele said...

what a fabulous project! i love it. xo

PetraB said...

I saw the bottle in real life (big smile) and it is absolutely stunning!

Bonnie Irvine said...

Lucy, this is beautiful. I love the crackle and the wonderful stamping. The Paris theme is so fun and your colour scheme so lovely. I like the inking toward the edges of the bottle to enhance the shape. Beautiful stopper and such an inspired way to use the word tags.

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Brilliant! I love this idea.