Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Say Cheese…..

Good Morning!  Micki here and I’m pretty excited to share a “totally-outside-my-comfort-zone” 12x12 scrapbook layout.  I’m sure you could have heard my knees a-knocking while I was working on it.  I honestly don’t know why I was so “scared”, but my stomach was in knots…….however, I prevailed.
Here it goes……

Seeing Mary-Ann’s beautiful layouts really inspired me, so when I saw the Memories Captured 6x6 Paper Pad by Fancy Pants, I ordered it along with the What a Wonderful Day Decorative Tags and Patterned Envelopes.  And then I was like “now what”.  I headed to Pinterest and took adapted a layout by Laura Whitaker.
I started by taking a 12x12 Graphic 45 paper and scraped a thin layer of gesso on it using the Ranger Inkssentials craft scraper.  While that was drying, I dug out some old clear buttons which were covered with assorted papers from the Memories Captured paper pad using Tombow Multi Liquid Glue.
Once the glue was dry, I sanded the edges using the Sanding Grip Block.  To poke the holes, I used my scissors and lightly sanded the top.
Setting that aside, I had to add a touch of mixed media so I opted to add some black circles using Black Soot Distress Paint and Dylusions Chequered Dots Stencil.  I dabbed the paint onto the gessoed paper, layed the stencil on top and wiped the paint off the circles using a wet wipe.
After that it was just a matter of arranging my pieces.  I did rough up the edges a bit using my fingernail.  I added the painted arrows with a foam applicator with Rusty Hinge Distress Paint and the Layered Tickets stencil.  Once dry I added the Label Letters and then doodled around them with a black pen.
One thing that I found extremely helpful was using a glue stick to glue some of the layers down.  It allowed me to move stuff around without having a wet mess on my hands, yet once dry, the layers are nice and secure.   Plus, I left glue off some of the paper edges and then curled them up a little bit.  To add some depth, the photo and the patterned envelope were popped up using foam mounting tape.  The buttons were given some height with Glue Dots. 
I added a staple to the yellow strip using the Tiny Attacher.  I did this before gluing it down.  I wish they would make a Tiny Attacher with a longer reach because I love using staples to secure layers of papers.
For the title, I added the Alpha Parts Signmaker letters right on top of the envelope.  And for my journaling, which I have yet to do, I added a tag.  As a final ‘pop of color’, I added some splatters with watered down Fired Brick Distress Paint and a very wet brush.

So, what do you think?  I really do like the way it turned out.  I have such a hard time using pastel colors and I tend to worry about the colors matching, such as does this color go with that one, etc…. In the end I just went with the flow and I LOVE it.

I will definitely have to create two more since I have almost identical posed pictures of my other granddaughters.  I hope you enjoyed this layout and it inspired you to step out of your comfort zone to try something new!






Supplies Used:

9 comments:

toni said...

Fabulous work Micki! Great background treatment and love all the little dimensional elements. love how you've done those buttons xx

Kim said...

It's perfect, Micki! All of the elements, the photo, it's beautiful! Great work, girlie!!

Lucy Edmondson said...

I think it's great, Micki. It works so well!

Lucy x

Donna-Marie said...

Super Cool!!!
You have inspired me to take a stab at it as well!!
Love how you combined mixed media with scrapping :-)

Donna-Marie said...

Super Cool!!!
You have inspired me to take a stab at it as well!!
Love how you combined mixed media with scrapping :-)

Starla said...

OH MY!! This turned out FABULOUS!

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Oh my goodness, this totally rocks!!! You combined mixed media with my favorite!!! Great job!

Tracy said...

OMG Micki...that`s the sound of my jaw dropping to the floor.."stunfabulous" layout
...loooove it Micki!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous layour Micki ! Love the background and the covered buttons are fabulous ! Sue C x