Monday, July 8, 2013
Mixed Media Canvas with PanPastels and Distress Paints!
Sherry here with you today and I have a small 5x7 canvas to share.
I’ve been saving some thicker tissue paper that I got when I purchases some breakables recently, and decided that it was time to try it on another canvas. This paper is thicker than the normal tissue paper and I couldn’t wait to see how it would work.
Ranger Glue n’ Seal was painted on the canvas and the paper, after being crinkled, was wrapped around and glued to the back. While the canvas was drying, I was trying to decide how I wanted to proceed and finally opted to try Distress Paints instead of PanPastels that I had used in the past. In order for the paints to work on the paper and not soak through, a layer of gesso was painted on top of the paper.
Distress Paints used for the background were Wild Honey, Broken China, Seedless Preserves and a touch of Bundled Sage. Once dry, the heart was added using a stencil I had die cut from chipboard. For the heart layers of color were added with Worn Lipstick, Barn Door, Fired Brick and Aged Mahogany Distress Inks.
To add some highlights, Teal and White PanPastels were added over the top of the canvas by lightly dragging color from the edges to the middle of the canvas. I might should add that in between layers a quick drying fixative was used to keep the colors from blending together.
The flower was added by using the Studio 490 3 Fresh Flowers Stencil and Embossing Paste. For the stem Peeled Paint Distress Ink Refill was mixed with white embossing paste and for the flower, Shaded Lilac was added. Once dry, the stem was highlighted with Forest Moss Distress Ink. The flower was highlighted with Dusty Concord, Chipped Sapphire and Peacock Feathers.
Finally, the sentiment (from an older Studio 490 set, Sentimental Art) was stamped in Archival Jet Black. A helpful hint: I stamped the sentiment a number of times and never got a nice imprint. Because I had sprayed the canvas with a fixative, I was able to remove the archival ink by spraying a rag with stamp cleaner and removing the ink.
Thanks for stopping by and joining me today!