Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Configurations Book

Hi It's Karen Knight here with you today to share with you my very first project as your Guest Designer here at eclectic Paperie for the month of September.
I want to say a huge thank you to Kim and Bonnie for inviting me to hare some projects with you this month. I appreciate this opportunity and hope that I can leave you feeling a little inspired.  For those of you who don't know me, I love all things vintage, grungy and Tim Holtz.. So lets jump on in..
My first project that I have is a Tim Holtz Mini Configurations Book..
 I adore these, and have used this one to create a little keepsake using some things that are important to me.. A feather from my son's feather collection, and some of the dried flowers that I've kept that he picks for me as we take a walk sometimes.


 I started off by painting all the parts of the mini configurations book with Frayed Burlap Distress paint, and letting it dry. 


I then sanded the edges of the book and each compartment and inked the edges using Walnut Stain Distress ink.


Next came the fun part...cutting various pieces of Tim Holtz Wallflower Paper to size to fit each of the included compartments, and the spine, front and back covers.


I then inked all the cut to size pieces and machine stitched around a few of the pieces as well.


Then I used double sided tape to adhere all my pieces, and started to fill each compartment with some of my chosen trinkets and treasures.. (this is the part where I do lots of changing of my mind..) and I was done..


 This is my finished keepsake..


And you really can't go past a few close ups.. 

Remnent Rubs are perfect to mix and match using various sets to add your chosen phrase or sentiment!



Inside the Wishes jar ( my empty Tim Holtz Wishbones  jar ) I have  a little bit of spanish moss, some Tim Holtz Baubles, and two little tiny feathers from my son's feather collection.



On the cover I have used one of my dried flowers. I  sealed these after drying with some Ranger Multi Medium to give them a little bit of extra strength.


Sigh.. I adore the Tim Holtz Ruler Bindings teamed with a photo, another dried flower,  some hitch fasteners and Tim Holtz Ephemera...


 I love how this has turned out, and the fact that's it's made just that little bit more special and personal with the little added extras from adding in found things that are special to me.

 I hope I've inspired you.. Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderfully creative week.. and see you all next Wednesday!
Karen xx



8 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Your box is just wonderful Karen! love the papers you used - the stitching adds a great finished look to the cover - how fun that you used a dried flower - so many lovely details! a great memento box! Welcome as our Guest DT this month - we're so happy to have you with us!

toni said...

Absolutely wonderful Karen! So many lovely touches ! I have one of these just waiting for me to start on. Your post is very inspiring , thank you x

Dolly LaBelle said...

I love your shadow box of memories! What a great gift idea for any mother or grandmother, or to keep for you. Thank you so much for sharing!

mamablitger said...

Karen your box is awesome. LOVE all the fabulous details and the personal touch you added all over. From the flower, to the feather and of course your lovely pics !!! Really inspiring to see how you transformed this box into ART !!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs from Monica.... Spain

Micki said...

That is a wonderful memory treasure. I love how you did each compartment. Love the dried flowers. Absolutely wonderful!!!!

Andiepants said...

What a lovely little keepsake. i adore the grunginess, and it's very masculine. I'm sure your son will treasure it when he is older.

Steph Ackerman said...

LOVE this box. Your details are amazing.

Sue Lelli said...

Very special box with FABULOUS details, Karen! LOVE it!