Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Playing with Texture and Color



Hi everyone, it's Lisa S here as eP's April guest designer and my project for this week fits in with the current ePlay challenge-Wood!. I used a wood frame box that once held game pieces but now serves as a frame for my mixed media artwork. I started by playing with a 6x6 stencil by TCW-Live, Laugh, Love, Wendy Vecchi's white embossing paste and a trio of distress paints. 

Here's my process...
I used a 8.5 x 11 piece of white card stock as my base and applied a thin coat of white embossing paste over the stencil. 

This was a bit too loud for me so I toned the words down with Adirondack paint dabbers.   

That's better :)
I added distress paints-seedless preserves, spiced marmalade, mowed lawn-to my page and a black Faber-Castell Pitt Pen and black soot distress ink were used for shading. 

I decided to add checkered corners with Wendy Vecchi's embossing paste and her Checkmake stencil



Butterfly images were stamped on my background using the Butterfly Trio stamp by Crafty Individuals

which I inked it with Wendy Vecchi's Archival Dandelion ink

Additional color was added with Faber-Castell Pitt Pens in yellow, orange, purple and brown hues.  

The checkered border was altered with Adirondack Acrylic paint dabbers {Snow Cap, silver and gold} and Faber-Castell Pitt Pens. 

Texture in the form of Liquitex Glass Beads Texture Gel colored with a few drops of seedless preserves distress reinker was added to the flower bud. I mixed the ink and gel together and applied it with a brush then sprinkled silver micro beads over the mixture, repeated with another layer of glass beads and sprinkled that layer with black micro beads. 

I love the dimension and texture the glass beads add. 





Here's how I altered the wood frame...
Altering it was super easy with mustard seed distress stain and a purple Faber-Castell Pitt Pen.

 
I brushed a thin coat of Liquitex Acrylic Gesso, then a coat of mustard seed distress stain, more color with a purple Faber-Castell Pitt Pen and another layer of mustard seed. 

A numbers stamp inked in Staz On Jet Black was stamped in various places on the frame. To adhere my background, which I trimmed to fit, I used Scor Tape for a smooth finish. I can display it with an easel or add a hanger and use it for wall art. 

Here's my finished piece



Have to say I wasn't too sure how it would turn out but I had fun creating it. For me, that's what this art adventure is all about. :)

Key Supplies Used:

That's all for me today, thanks for looking! You still have time to join in this month's ePlay Challenge-Wood! and I'll be back next Wednesday with my last guest designer project.

Have a wonderful day,
Lisa xx

9 comments:

Sue Lelli said...

This is just GORGEOUS, Lisa! I really love all of your colors and techniques but I especially LOVE the glass beads mixed with ink for the flower! Stunning!

toni said...

Lovely work Lisa! Makes me want to reach out and touch the fab textures you've created xx

Micki said...

Uuuhhhh wow Lisa, love how those glass beads look. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Love all the texture with the embossing paste. This is wonderful!!!!!!

Julia Aston said...

what a wonderful cover for the box you hold your artwork in Lisa! I need to try those glass beads - great textures, stampings and colors to inspire you when you create something new to put in the box!

Tracy said...

Wow loooove how it turned out Lisa, never tried glass beads...gorrrgeous and now going to have to get some :-):-):-) big hugs xxxx

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulous depth from all those luscious layers - and a special "wow" for the glass bead flower head - brilliant!
Alison x

Pia S said...

Thanks for showing pictures from the making process, it really did inspire me to try this style!

Margaret said...

Another amazing piece, Lisa! All of the photos and steps were so inspiring.

Nen said...

Love it and really love your tutorial....