Hi everyone, Micki here to share an unexpected result while playing with my Gelli Arts gelli plate yesterday. Of course having lots of gelli plate prints, I used some in my art journal. But first, the gelli plate experience.
It's been a while since I had used the Gelli Plate which means that I have to get a feel for how much paint to put on the plate. And that means that I always tend to get too much on the first couple of tries.
I started to pull prints (I used deli paper and old book papers), realizing after pulling the first and 2nd prints that had put on way too much paint. I put those aside and continued to pull two more prints from the same paint covered gelli plate. Didn't think anymore about it, cleaned the plate to try another color combo when I saw that some of the paint on the deli paper prints were still wet. Actually, on some spots where was enough paint I could have used my palette knife to remove it.
Ok, so not thinking, I layed the "still wet" printed deli paper back on the now cleaned gelli plate. Applying pressure all over with my hands and pulled the deli paper off the gelli plate.
This was the result:
Those bare strips is where the paint was still wet and the gelli plate "grabbed" it right off the deli paper. I didn't take a picture of the gelli plate at this point because I was having too much fun with the plate. I added black gesso to the gelli plate (over the strips of pulled paints) and used a book page to pull a print:
Is that not the coolest? (Ignore the left side, I had pulled that print earlier and wanted to use up the rest of that book page. ) I tried to recreate it, using the same process except with book pages instead of deli paper but I could not get it to replicate! It took me a while to realize that it has something to do with the deli paper. I continued playing and as usual ended up with lots of prints:
I also pulled a couple of prints on black card stock:
And then I had to figure out how to dry all the prints without stepping on them:
Now to my art journal page. I had this idea of using some of the gelli plate prints for hair, as in paper piecing the hair on TCW 12x12 Profile Stencil. I wanted to do the paper piecing first before I stenciled the face. So that I would have a general idea of there to glue the printed pieces, I used Dried Marigold Distrss Stain to stencil the face - light enough but still visible.
Then it was just a matter of tearing strips and small pieces to fill in the hair:
One that was dry, I added Dylusions Spray Inks, water and covered the rest of the pages. I used a clear wax crayon to outline the face which created a resist:
I used the Umbrella from Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 - Rainy Day Stencil as a corner embellishment by masking off the handle and stenciling it in each corner with Studio 490's White Embossing Paste. Once the paste was dry, all four were colored with Splash of Color's Key Lime Silk Acrylic Glaze.
Since I had the glazes out, I gave the hair a watered down was using Splash of Color's Boysenberry Silk Acrylic Glaze.
I added some background texture using several older Studio 490 stamps. I love Studio 490 Vintage Flower stencil which I stenciled in a cluster -giving each flower several coats of paint and making sure to that it was dry completely before overlapping and stenciling the next flower.
The leaves are from Dylusions - Around The Edge set, stamped in Jet Black Archival ink and colored with Faber Castell Big Brush pens. I used Faber Castell markers to go over the stenciled flowers for some depth.
The butterfly was stamped onto another gelli plate print, cut out and glued to the page (to cover a boo-boo). The face was filled in first with white gesso, then with Dried Marigold Distress Stain. The gesso was still a bit wet so when I used a brush to blend the stain, it mixed and made it more opaque. Added journaling Dina Wakley style around the profile, some shading with gelatos and markers and added a border with Chipped Saphire Distress Paint.
I couldn't decide where to stamp the word "imagine" from Unity Stamps - Inspire Words by Donna Downey and settled to stamp it on her neck.
I definitely love the hair. And I did create a background from that really cool gelli plate print:
It's ready to go when inspiration hits! Thanks for stopping by and hanging in there with me. Hope I made sense in my explanations. And I hope it inspired you to grab your art supplies and have fun!