Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What Would Michelangelo Say ?

Hi everybody! It's Toni here, ready to share a mixed media journal page. I'm fresh from Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 102 online class, and couldn't wait to put some of what I've learned into practice. I'm almost embarrassed to say that this is the first page I've created in my Dyan Reavley Journal, which I received from Kim at the beginning of the summer! These books are so gorgeous, nice and thick with lovely quality paper. I've just been coveting mine, picking it up, leafing through the blank pages, stroking it and then putting back on the shelf. But  hey! that's no way to treat a journal, so I finally decided to just get stuck in.
 
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a packet of paper napkins with this image from Michelangelo's painting in the Sistene Chapel. I was lucky enough to visit Rome a few years ago and spent quite some time with my head thrown back, staring up at the spectacular painted ceiling. The imagery, colours and quality of the painting is simply breathtaking. Whilst these cheap and cheerful napkins bear little resemblance to the real thing, I thought they would be fun to use in a project or two.
I started off by splodging some Distress paints onto one of the white journal pages. I gave the surface a good spritz of water and allowed the colours to drip and marble together. I dried the page with my heat tool and then started to layer on some stencils. I used The Crafter's Worshop Tiny Circles and the Mini Art Is, with Distress Paints in the same colours as the background.
How different the surface looked once it was dry. I then separated the layers of one of the napkins and roughly tore around the design. I adhered this to the page with Studio Multi Matte Medium and blended the edges with Distress Paint.
I then applied some Ferro Metallic paint, through The Crafter's Workshop Roman Letters stencil. I love the dimensional effect this gives. Once everything was dry, I used one of the new Ideaology Layering Stencils  in the sun ray design with Mustard Seed Distress Ink. The effect is very subtle but it was  just enough to finish off the page. I used Distress Ink on the edges of the page in Black Soot and walnut Stain, in order to draw the viewers eye towards the centre of the page.
So I wonder what Michelangelo would think of all the amazing products we have today! Here's a selection of some I've used on this project, which are available from Kim's lovely eclectic Paperie shop. I better send Michelangelo the links ! x

13 comments:

Redanne said...

Oh Toni, I absolutely love your page! The colours are gorgeous. Confession time, I have had my Dyan journal longer than you and have only done one page too! You have inspired me now...... Hugs, Anne x

Kim said...

Fabulous, Toni, so much fun! And I'm glad that you finally baptized your journal with paint!! Beautiful first page!

Lynn said...

Really love effect, I love all the distressing. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment! I totally know what you mean about "saving" a journal...I just keep collecting new ones and then not wanting to "mess them up". Glad you finally got started and I am glad that you are enjoying Tim's class!

Elaine A said...

Beautiful, beautiful journal page! You've captured the essence of Michelangelo's art.

Elaine Allen

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning effects and great step by step photos! I think even master M himself would have liked this and probably had a good chuckle to see his art used in this way. The effect is amazing and I love the colours you used!

JulesinParadise said...

Love paper napkin work and yours is one of the most amazing I've seen. LOVE!

Andiepants said...

*GASP* This is AMAZING!!!! I love it!!!

Micki said...

Toni, Michelangelo would say "awesome". Absolutely fantastic. Love the distressing, the texture.....

Tracy said...

Ohhhh my giddy aunt Toni..playing catch up and this has blown me away!!!
Wow... stunning work of ART Toni!!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Sue Lelli said...

Toni, it's a work of art! LOVE all of the details but that sun ray is Beautiful! LOVE this!

Words and Pictures said...

What amazing work, Toni - the napkin blended into the painty textured background looks simply stunning. What a way to kick off your Dyan journal! Mine's still blank, but I've only had it a couple of months, and I have been moving house!!
Alison xx

Lorraine said...

Stunning stuff, Toni.

Sandy said...

Extraordinary!