Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sources of Inspiration

Hello All, it's Toni here with a wall hanging I've made, using a technique I discovered in one of my Craft Stamper Magazines. The November issue featured a faux batik project by the very talented Kaz Hall, her blog is called The Little Shabby Shed. The vibrant colours really caught my eye. I've had a dabble with hot wax batik on fabric and am very attracted to creating this effect in my crafting. Kaz created her batik project using Distress Markers and clear embossing powder. I've changed it slightly and used Distress Ink Pads which I think have worked well. The stamp I've used is by Dina Wakely for Stampington and Co. As soon as it arrived from Kim, I thought it would be ideal for this technique.
I started by cutting three strips of manila card. I then applied up to three colours of  Distress Ink, tapping each one onto the surface of the stamp. I followed Kaz's instructions and misted the stamp with water before stamping onto the card. this gives a nice water colour effect.
(Sorry about the shadow!) I  covered the image with clear embossing powder and heated with my heat gun. I then applied distress ink over the image and background, using an ink blending tool.
I continued to follow Kaz's instructions and placed a piece of paper over the image and ironed with a hot iron, melting away the embossing powder and creating the batik effect. I repeated this with a couple more stamped images using different colour ways. I then trimmed and mounted the images on black card. This really made the colours seem even more vibrant. Once again taking inspiration from Kaz, I stitched around each panel before adhering the three panels onto a background of corrugated card, which I had covered with Tissue Paper and dry brushed with Fresco Paint in Concrete.
I finished the edges with Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress ink. I couldn't resist adding the sentiment, as I think these three friends are certainly sticking together ! So, there we have it. Many thanks to Craft Stamper Magazine and Kaz Hall for providing me with the inspiration for this project. Below is a list of the supplies I've used which Kim stocks in the wonderful eclectic Paperie shop. Why not sign up for Kim's newsletter so that you can get first hand information about all the latest products and exciting new developments. Happy Crafting ! x

13 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! I am bringing out the iron and the thread today . . . LOVE this!!

Kim said...

This is amazing, Toni! Wow...I need to try this out myself...simply stunning!

Bonnie Irvine said...

I love this faux batik effect. It looks gorgeous and I can think of tons of applications. The sentiment suits these three so well. This is a much better use of an iron than getting wrinkles out of clothes...lol.

Broni said...

This is fabulous and really stunning looking! I love the vibrant colors and Warhol effect! I'll definitely have to give this a try!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Gorgeous, Toni! What a neat technique.

Kaz Hall said...

Hi Toni
Marjie kindly sent me to your blog.... I'm so glad she did!! Thanks so much for sharing the technique, I'm so glad it worked, your hanging looks just fabulous! Many thanks again and best wishes!
Kaz x

Tracy said...

Wow Toni love this technique, it turned out fabulous and the sentiment works a treat!!!
I missed this issue so thank yoooou for sharing.
Big hugs
Tracy xxx

Tracy said...

Just had another gander and wow!!!

Artmadnana said...

Love what you made and the way you acknowledge Kaz throughout your piece. Others should learn from you. Too many crafters - some well known - copy but don't acknowledge. Talented and fair. I like it.

Micki said...

Toni, I'm so CASEing this. I love it. LOVE it! Love that Andy Warhol effect and the colors and definitely love the sentiment! I'm definitely doing this technique this weekend. :-)

Erin Smetak said...

Stellar piece of art, Toni! And I LOVE the quote!
I've never tried the faux batik technique, but you have definitely inspired me to try it out! The outcome of your project is awesome!

Andiepants said...

Such a gorgeous piece Toni!!!! Love the technique!!!!

Sue Lelli said...

WOW, Toni! LOVE that technique and how vibrant the colors are! That sentiment is just Perfect and Amazing with those images, too!