Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Product Spotlight - Dylusions Products

Hi all and welcome to Tuesday! Today I'm talking about a number of Dylusions products. First, we have a number of new products in stock from Dyan and second...to show you my very first altered journal page!

This type of art is so out of my comfort zone but I have to share that I had such a good time making this page. So much so that once I was finished I spent the evening thinking about ideas for my next page. I can't wait to get inky again!  This type of art is so free form...there aren't any mistakes!  And that ability to add layer upon layer of crafty goodness is very exciting...

I've listed the steps that I took to create my page below.  I'm using the brand spanking new Dylusions Journal to create my page (this is a must have!) and I read through Dyan's My Creative Journey before getting started.  Both of these products part of this week's bundle...Purchase the Journal and receive the Creative Journey booket for 50% off retail!  Use code DYAN50 when checking out and enjoy!  (Note that this offer is good while supplies last.  If demand continues once inventory is diminished then I'll honor pre-orders until October 22).  On with the photo tutorial!
I started by covering the entire page with Spun Sugar Distress Stain.  (Notice that I picked a very light color...call me hesitant! LOL!)
Next I used a Mini Mister to spritz water all over the page.  You need the water to enable the Dylusions Ink Sprays to spread.  I used Lemon Zest, Crushed Grape, and Bubblegum Pink on my page.  (Notice I'm still being painfully cautious with the ink...)  These ink sprays are the coolest things ever!  When they dry, it feels like paint.  Very cool...
This was probably my favorite step...pulling out the Dotted Flowers stencil and Picket Fence Distress Stain.  The Picket Fence stain is opague so you end up with this hint of design, with the color still showing through.  Fabulous!
Next I used a heart template (from Studio 490) and more Lemon Zest Ink Spray to create this great heart image on the page.
The heart template was used again to cut out a photo of my sweet boys.  (Note that the one mistake I made was attaching my photo at this point...I should have fully finished the page first.  But one can't learn unless one makes a mistake so...lesson learned!) :-)
Dyan mentioned in her book that she loves to add frames to her pictures, like you would frame any piece of art and so I framed my page!  I used the Further Around the Edge stamp set on my page.  I love the contrast of the black against the light colors of the ink spray.
Next...another stencil!  I told you I was in love with the stencils!  For two young boys I had to add some ABC's!  I used the Letter Jumble stencil for the letters.  See those lines at the bottom of the heart picture?  I used one of the border stamps from the set and bent it a little bit as I stamped to give my journaling box some wavy lines.  Fun, right?
Speaking of journaling...I added some along with a few paint circles.  I created the circles by putting a dab of Bottle Adirondack Paint to my non-stick craft sheet and dabbing the paint cap in the paint, then putting the paint on the page.  Ohhh...
Then...I doodled!  Yup, some free hand scallops around the heart, which really made the photo stand out.  I also added a few newsprint circles and a sentiment (you can see it better in my first photo) from a Tim Holtz stamp and I was done!  My first page!  Yippee!  I'm seriously so excited!  I completely understand why people fall in love with this art form.  It's so different than card making and it's really fun to just create without thinking too much about what is is you're creating.  You just make art for the fun of getting your hands dirty and to see where the products and your imagination take you!

I hope you enjoyed today's post, stop on over at the eP store to check out all of our Dylusions products, and stay tuned for page two...


7 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

the border on this is stunning. Dylusions is on my Christmas list...hope Santa is listening!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, love the background you made and adorable little guys.

Hugs, Lori m

SusanK said...

This is great! All the elements really work so well. This is out of my box, too, but you've given me more courage to try it. thank you!

Rea' said...

Like your tutorial ! I can't wait to try, I just received my order of Dylusions stuff ( and I went crazy... with this order); you and other made it look so fun, I had to try!

Marlena M. said...

Wow, your layering of texture and design are gorgeous! Such a cute set of boys too~

Erin Smetak said...

Wow! This is really cool! I love the journal idea, too! Not as overwhelming as a scrapbook!

Shannon said...

Kim, I absolutely love, love, love this journal page. You may be out of your comfort zone but I think you've stumbled on a new niche that you clearly have a talent for. Plus, looking at this journal page and the steps in how you made it, it makes me want to buy all those supplies, which is great because hopefully others will feel that way as well.